The joint replacement team take pride in delivering a high standard of care to our patients in a timely manner. We focus on listening to and spending time with patients, prompt diagnosis, optimising non-operative management and finally skilled surgical treatment when indicated.
Your appointment date and time will be confirmed by telephone.
For any queries regarding your appointment
You are encouraged to fill the New Patient Registration form at least 24 hrs before the appointment. The Receptionist would provide a paper form to be filled out before the consultation if this was not possible.
What to bring to the Consultation?
- If available, please bring all X-rays, CT or MRI scans and results of blood tests or Nerve conduction tests as applicable.
- If your GP has provided a Referral letter, please give the same to Receptionist on arrival. Your doctor would likely have faxed the referral letter to the surgeons, in which case you do not need to bring one with you.
- Bring your Medicare card, DVA card or Health insurance card as applicable.
Your Surgery and Post-operative Care
The joint replacement team make every effort to make your surgery and post-operative stay as comfortable and smooth as possible. We understand that it can be a stressful and difficult time for many of you. Please feel free to talk to our surgeons or business manager / JRC patient liaison for any and all enquiries relating to your surgery. We would be glad to assist in any way we can.
Before your Surgery
- Prof Jeganeth Krishnan or Dr Sunil Reddy will discuss with you the benefits, risks, complications and expectations of the surgical procedure during the initial consultation.
- Patient information sheets will be provided.
- Anaesthetist consultation.
- Physician consultation.
- Physiotherapy consultation.
- Contact by Shehara Silva (Patient Liaison).
- Initial assessment by RDNS.
On the day of surgery
- Transport to Ashford Hospital by RDNS if required
- Please do not eat or drink anything for 6 hours prior to your surgery. Clear fluids (No milk, fruit juices) can be consumed up to 4 hours prior to the surgery.
- Unless advised otherwise, please take your medication for hypertension on the morning of surgery with half a cup of water.
- You may need to cease anti-coagulants like Plavix, warfarin, apixaban, etc. 3-7 days prior to surgery, based on the drug being taken. The surgeons and/or the anaesthetist will advise you regarding the same during the consultation.
- Please arrive at the hospital 45-60 minutes prior to your surgery, unless advised otherwise.
- Please let the staff know if you have fever, cough, cold, recent skin tears/injuries, urine infection, etc. Anaesthesia or surgery may not be safe for an elective surgical procedure under some of these conditions.
- Please remember to bring your imaging films and reports including X-rays, CT or MRI scans to the hospital.
Day after surgery
- Prof Krishnan and / or Dr Reddy will see you the day after surgery.
- Overnight stay in a Critical care unit may be required in high-anaesthetic risk individuals or patients with specific medical problems.
- We have excellent multi-modality pain management protocol and blood-loss minimisation protocols in place to give you the best chance of recovery.
- The surgeons and/or the Physiotherapist will help you get up and about and advise you the exercises to be performed.
- The duration of stay depends on the surgical procedure performed and can be between 2 to 4 days on an average. The discharge is not days-based but criterion-based and depends on your recovery, pre-operative health and function.
Day of discharge
- Transport to home by RDNS is available.
- RDNS nurse visit.
- Mobility aids, shower chair and toilet seat raiser provided for the first week of transitional home care including delivery and collection.
First week following discharge – RDNS home care
- Two follow – up nursing visits.
- Daily support with your exercise regime.
- RDNS support worker to assist with showering / home duties.
2 to 8 weeks following discharge
- 6-8 outpatient physiotherapy sessions at a location and time convenient to you.